Cairo to host 300-member congress of Libyan tribes Monday


Cairo to host 300-member congress of Libyan tribes Monday

TCP :  Egypt will host a meeting of Libyan tribes’ representatives to discuss a political solution to their country’s crisis Monday, said Assistant to the Foreign Minister Osama al-Magdoub.

The 300-member congress aims to unify all tribes nationwide to reach a national settlement, Magdoub told Youm7 in a report to be published Monday.

Assistant To The Foreign Minister Osama Al-Magdoub - YOUM7(Archive)

“A dialogue has being held in Morocco to reach a national reconciliation government to choose a Prime Minister and agree on security measures. In case an agreement was announced, the tribes would be the only front to carry it out,” Magdoub said.

“Egypt is a merely a hosting country and did not intervene to choose the invited members,” Magdoub added, noting that a Libyan committee formed from different tribes coordinated the congress.

On Oct. 21, Egypt hosted a meeting for Egyptian and Libyan tribes’ representatives discussing disarmament of armed Libyan tribes.

Magdoub said representatives from Libya’s neighboring countries (Egypt, Algeria, Tunisia, Sudan, Chad and Niger,) will meet June 5 in Chad to review the mechanism of the 2014 Egyptian initiative.

On Aug. 24, 2014 Cairo hosted a conference on Libya attended by neighboring countries. The conference proposed an initiative that calls for collecting arms and weapons from Libyan militias, reaching a cease-fire agreement between conflicting groups, drafting a new constitution, conducting an inclusive dialogue and recognizing of the new Libyan parliament’s legitimacy.

Egypt’s Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry met Saturday with his Algerian counterpart Ramadan Lamamra in Algeria to discuss Libya’s crisis and bilateral relations.

Since the February 2011 Libyan uprising and the death of late Libyan leader Muammar al-Gaddafi, Libya has sunk in deep security turmoil. It has been controlled by the Islamists and hardliners in the northern parts, while other parts came under the authority of the international recognized Tobruk-based government.

Al-Qaeda-inspired militant group of the Islamic State (ISIS / ISIL) has found footholds in Libyan territories, killing and kidnapping dozens of different nations.

The Cairo Post    –    Additional reporting by Amaal Raslan

UPDATE ABOUT THE GREEK SHIP ATTACKED AT THE SHORES OF SIRTE


UPDATE ABOUT THE GREEK SHIP ATTACKED AT THE SHORES OF SIRTE

 

Libyan government warplanes attack ship near port – air force commander

صقر الجروشي آمر سلاح الجو (أرشيفية: الإنترنت) (photo: )

Saqer al-Joroushi air force commander

May 24 Warplanes from Libya’s official government attacked a ship off the Libyan port of Sirte on Sunday, the air force commander said.

It was the third confirmed strike by the internationally recognized government on oil tankers, part of a conflict between competing administrations and parliaments allied to armed factions fighting for control of the country four years after the ousting of Muammar Gaddafi.

The recognized premier Abdullah al-Thinni has been working out of the east since losing the capital Tripoli in August last year to a rival faction. Both sides have been attacking each other with warplanes and thanks to loose alliances with former anti-Gaddafi rebels have also been fighting on several fronts on the land.

“Our jets warned an unflagged ship off Sirte city, but it ignored the warning,” Saqer al-Joroushi told Reuters. “We gave it a chance to evaluate the situation, then our fighting jets attacked the ship because it was unloading fighters and weapons,” he added.

“The ship now is on fire. We are in war and we do not accept any security breaches, whether by land, air or sea,” Jourushi added.

Mohamed El Harari, a spokesman for Tripoli-based state oil firm NOC, said the Libyan tanker Anwar Afriqya owned by NOC had been carrying gasoil for Sirte’s power plant. Another oil industry official said the size of the cargo was 25,000 tonnes. ***Yes that is the excuse Tripoli gave….

Lights tanker Africa, which have been targeted near the steam plant Sirte (Facebook) (photo:)

A port worker said there had been two attacks on the tanker docked outside the port. First a plane had fired rockets at the tanker’s cockpit and crew’s cabins, he said. “Then the plane attacked again with guns.”

Sirte’s power plant on the western outskirts is controlled by forces loyal to Tripoli. The rest of the city has fallen into the hands of Islamic State which has exploited a security vacuum.

The eastern government had already attacked in January a Greek-operated tanker docking at Derna, killing two seamen and accusing the shipper of sending weapons. NOC had said the tanker was only carrying heavy fuel oil for a power plant.

Two weeks ago forces loyal to the official government shelled a Turkish ship off the Libyan coast after it was warned not to approach. One crew member was killed in what Turkey described as a “contemptible attack”.

The Libyan army bombed an oil tanker the shores of Sirte


The Libyan army bombed an oil tanker the shores of Sirte

الجيش الليبي يقصف ناقلة نفط بشواطئ سرت

Fighter aircraft bombed the Greek oil tanker (Anwar 1), while anchored on the shores of Sirte, suspicion transported weapons and ammunition to terrorist groups.


Tripoli Erem News Network

 

The Libyan army air force bombed an oil tanker off the coast of Sirte on Sunday, causing the combustion of a large part of it, and the injury of a number of its crew were injured.

A source said the General Staff, headed by the Libyan army in an interview with Eremby telephone from Benghazi, said that “fighter aircraft bombed the Greek oil tanker (Anwar 1), while anchored on the shores of Sirte, suspicion transported weapon and ammunition to terrorist groups.”

The source pointed out, that “the city of Sirte is outside the control of the state, and under the grip of the organization of the Islamic state and militias dawn of Libya, so its considered any actions and movements cut off from sea or land towards it, longer suspect in the event has not been coordinating with the army, at any movement by the militias dawn of Libya .

The Navy and Air Force troops of Libyan army, had bombed two weeks before the Turkish tanker off the coast of the city of Derna far east of the country, after being suspected cargo and its proximity to the coast without responding to the warnings of the Coast Guard.

 

Najat high-level officer of the Libyan army assassination attempt


Najat high-level officer of the Libyan army assassination attempt

Najat high-level officer of the Libyan army assassination attempt

Sources confirm that Major General Omar Tintosh is in good health, while his driver suffered minor injuries, and was taken for treatment.

Erem News Tripoli

Major General Omar survived Tintosh senior commander in the room Libyan army operations in the Western Region, from an assassination attempt, while on a reconnaissance tour of the south of Tripoli and Rishvanh area.

A source under the chairmanship of the General Staff of the Libyan army in his interview with ((Erem)) over the phone, that the army’s Western Region operating room, said charges of exposure of Major General Omar Tintosh to a failed assassination attempt, while on a tour of reconnaissance of the army Borshvanh, where surprised by the convoy consisting of Four cars, firing heavy lead towards the car traveling.

The source, who preferred not to be named, that the Brigade Tintosh who is under the command of the fighting against the militia axes dawn of Libya, south and west of Tripoli, is in good health but his driver suffered minor injuries, was taken for treatment.

Locked in the Libyan army troops western Libya, fierce battles against militias dawn of Libya, where holed up in their headquarters President, in the cities (Zuwarah corner Sabratha Janzur Tripoli), and has achieved during the past few weeks, significant progress in operations, and managed to extend its control over the South Tripoli fully.

 

 

Sidney Blumenthal, a long-time friend of the Clintons, claimed David Cameron backed a French plot to create a break away zone eastern Libya


Sidney Blumenthal, a long-time friend of the Clintons, claimed David Cameron backed a French plot to create a break away zone eastern Libya

Britain hid secret MI6 plan to break up Libya from US, Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton received several warnings from a friend that Britain was acting deceitfully in Libya Photo: Reuters

By Raf Sanchez, Washington

Britain acted deceitfully in Libya and David Cameron authorised an MI6 plan to “break up” the country, a close confidante of Hillary Clinton claimed in a series of secret reports sent to the then-secretary of state.

Sidney Blumenthal, a long-time friend of the Clintons, emailed Mrs Clinton on her personal account to warn her that Britain was “game playing” in Libya.

Mr Blumenthal had no formal role in the US State Department and his memos to Mrs Clinton were sourced to his own personal contacts in the Middle East and Europe.

Nevertheless, Mrs Clinton seems to have taken some of his reports seriously and forwarded them on to senior diplomats working at the highest levels of American foreign policy.

The first of Mr Blumenthal’s Libya memos – which were leaked to the New York Times – was sent on April 8, 2011, as rebel forces struggled to make gains against Gaddafi’s troops, and had “UK game playing” in the subject line.

The memo warned that British diplomats and MI6 officers were maintaining secret back channels with the Gaddafi regime “in an effort to protect the British position in the event that the rebellion settles into a stalemate”.

Muammar Gaddafi / Photo: REUTERS

 

 

Mr Blumenthal claimed that MI6 spies were in discussions with Saif Gaddafi, the dictator’s son, “regarding future relations between the two countries if he takes over power from his father and implements reforms”.

The memo also claims that the Libyan rebels were deeply suspicious of Britain and suspected that the UK would be “satisfied with a stalemate” in which Gaddafi or his family stayed in power in part of the country.

Their suspicions were stoked when Gaddafi’s foreign minister, Moussa Koussa, defected to Britain in March 2011, Mr Blumenthal claimed. The rebels apparently saw the defection as evidence that Britain had secret lines of communication with the highest ranks of the Gaddafi regime.

Extract from the email:

Eight minutes after receiving Mr Blumenthal’s email, Mrs Clinton forwarded it on to one of her most senior aides. She did not comment on the allegations about Britain. A week later, she met with William Hague, the then-foreign secretary at a Nato summit in Berlin.

Perhaps unbeknownst to Mr Blumenthal, who was working for Bill Clinton’s global charity at the time and not privy to classified information, the CIA was maintaining its own back channels to Gaddafi.

Michael Morell, the CIA’s deputy director, spoke regularly to Abdullah Senussi, the head of Gaddafi’s internal intelligence service, even as US aircraft were bombing regime forces on the battlefield.

Mr Blumenthal emailed Mrs Clinton about Britain again on March 8, 2012 with the subject: “France & UK behind Libya breakup”.

By this time Gaddafi was dead and his regime had collapsed and a provisional government, the Libyan National Transitional Council, was trying to assert its authority across the country.

Mr Blumenthal told Mrs Clinton that MI6 and its French counterpart, the DGSE, were secretly encouraging rebels in eastern Libya to establish “a semi-autonomous zone” outside the control of the new government.

The plot was allegedly instigated by advisors to the French president, Nicolas Sarkozy, who believed that the new Libyan government was not “rewarding” French businesses for France’s role in overthrowing Gaddafi.

He alleged that MI6 joined in the plan “at the instruction of the office of Prime Minister David Cameron“.

“The French and British intelligence officials believe that the semi-autonomous regime in the eastern city of Benghazi will be able to organise business opportunities in that region,” he wrote.

Extract from the email:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mrs Clinton seems to have been sceptical about the report and forwarded it on to her aide Jake Sullivan with the comment: “This one strains credulity. What do you think?”

Mrs Clinton’s aides appear unimpressed with the stream of emails coming from Mr Blumenthal and Mr Sullivan replied that the MI6 allegations sounded like “like a thin conspiracy theory”.

Mrs Clinton was asked about the emails during a campaign appearance in Iowa and said Mr Blumenthal had been “a friend of mine for a very long time”.

“He sent unsolicited emails which I passed on in some instances. That’s just part of the give and take,” she said.

The Foreign Office did not respond to a request for comment.

Mr Blumenthal memos have aroused interest in the US because they appear to show a blurring of the lines between Mrs Clinton’s State Department and the Clinton Foundation set up by her husband.

Although he had no role in the State Department, he was working for the Clinton Foundation and various political groups allied with Mrs Clinton, according to the New York Times.

Mr Blumenthal worked in Bill Clinton’s White House and was known for fierce loyalty to both the Clintons and for aggressively confronting their critics.

Aides to Barack Obama prevented Mrs Clinton from bringing him into the State Department in 2009, believing that he would only stir up trouble after the bitterly-fought election battle between Mr Obama and Mrs Clinton.