‘There are advisers posted in the Libyan ministeries’, says Ana Gomes, MEP. Picture: Contributed
by CHRIS STEPHEN IN TRIPOLI
Britain has been placing officials in Libyan government ministries to lobby for “commercial interests”, a senior European politician has claimed.
Ana Gomes MEP, pictured right, the European Parliament’s special rapporteur for Libya, made the claim as news broke that the security operations room of the European Union’s Libya mission was captured by gunmen during the kidnapping last Thursday of prime minister Ali Zeidan.
“I know there are [commercial] advisers posted by different countries in the Libyan ministries,” the Portuguese socialist said.
Ms Gomes said Britain, France and Italy had officials in key ministries to compete for “commercial interests”.
She further accused London, Paris and Rome of sacrificing a common security policy in the interests of rival business contracts. “They don’t want a proper common defence and security policy, because they want to go about their own business,” she said.
UK ambassador to Libya, Michael Aron, denied British officials in Libyan ministries lobbied for businesses. “We have a number of advisers in the interior, defence and justice ministries, at the invitation of the Libyan government. They are specifically excluded from commercial work,” he said.
He admitted Britain did have an official lobbying for UK defence contractors at the embassy, saying: “We do have in the embassy one person for the defence sales organisation, whose job is to promote defence exports.”
Recent months have seen France and Italy ship armoured vehicles to Libya, while UK security firms staged a defence equipment fair for British companies aboard a Royal Navy warship moored in Tripoli in April.
Full details of the equipment on offer have not been released. Westminster says it respects the United Nations arms embargo imposed on Libya during the 2011 revolution which remains in force.
Ms Gomes is also seeking more details from the EU Border Assistance Mission (Eubam) in Libya about the storming of its security operations room during the kidnapping of Mr Zeidan.
The mission, which advises on port and border security, is based in the same hotel, the Corinthian, as Mr Zeidan, and while hunting for the PM militiamen took over the operations room of the EU’s private security company, Argus Security Projects, disabling equipment.
The 40 EU staff locked themselves in their rooms but EU officials insist none were targeted, and armed guards remained to protect them. “None of the Eubam personnel were harmed or threatened. Nobody entered our offices but they did enter our security provider offices,” said an EU statement.
“I didn’t know about this incident with Eubam,” said Ms Gomes. “We need an inquiry.”
Mr Zeidan was held for six hours last Thursday by militias before being released by local people who stormed the police station where he was being kept. He has blamed five unnamed congress members for organising what he said was a “coup”.
Last year Brussels scrapped a multi-million pound security contract for its Tripoli mission with British firm G4S after the company failed to get a licence from Libya. The EU says a new security contractor will begin work in November, deploying 54 guards, 18 armoured jeeps and a field ambulance.Last year US ambassador Chris Stevens was killed when the American consulate in Benghazi was stormed by militiamen.
The past few days saw a car bomb detonate outside the Swedish consulate in Benghazi and the Maltese consul flee the city after getting death threats.
Westminster has offered to train Libyan army units at a base in Cambridgeshire, but Mr Zeidan said on Friday that congress had refused to authorise the £3 million payment to the UK for the training.
The perils of Life in post-Gadhaffi Libya” are expounded by a highly confidential Libyan woman, called “FATAH” who travels frequently in Europe. “Fatah” describes a New Libya run by 1,700 private militias and thieving politicians who steal tens of millions from the Libyan Treasury. A Libya that requires two suitcases of bribes for officials traveling outside the country, transporting Libya’s wealth. A Libya where modern women are forced to wear burqas & cannot drive a car, or walk outside the home for fear of kidnappings & beatings. A new Libya run by Qatari financed Wahabis, who demand Shariah for the people, but steal, rape women and defy all Islamic principles in their own private lives. “Fatah” reveals a Libya in chaos.
Full plan to assassinate Colonel “Wanies Abukhamada” special forces commander Libyan ..Turkish intelligence sent a Hamas squad on board the merchant ship .. Elements armed with rifles and sniper listening devices funded by Qatari
Saturday 30 / November / 2013
Colonel “Wanies Abukhamada” Libyan special forces commander. Mustafa Barakat
A source of high-level Libyan in an exclusive statement to “veto”, information about the arrival of a Palestinian group affiliated to Fatah movement, to the port “Misurata” on board the cargo truck arrived from Turkey during the past few days, in order to arrange for the assassination of the commander of the special forces of Libya - Thunderbolt – Colonel Wanies Abukhamada
The source confirmed to “veto”, who declined to be named, that the plan to assassinate Colonel Nice Bouchmadh, was placed inside the corridors of Turkish intelligence, with funding from the State of Qatar, and is based on the implementation of elements of the Islamic Resistance Movement “Hamas”, was an elaborate scheme for this group, armed with weapons Turkish high precision, in addition to tracking devices and spy and eavesdrop high quality.
The source pointed out that this group, trained to carry out assassinations and physical liquidation, either through hunting or trapping cars, and detonated by remote control.
He pointed out that the truck Turkey that arrived on board of this group, I got the port of Misurata following the return of Abdul Karim Belhadj, leader of the group, the Libyan Islamic Turkey, accompanied by Mustafa Noah, deputy intelligence chief, who claimed he was kidnapped after his return in order to obscure the visit, which came in a tense atmosphere in the capital Tripoli The aim of the visit is Malgan.
He stressed that he has been monitoring the arrival of this armed group affiliated to Hamas, the Palestinian close to the State of Qatar and the Muslim Brotherhood, which adopts plans, political and military now have intelligence agency, Turkish Prime MinisterRecep Tayyip Erdogan, explaining that he had been to decipher this visit,and it turns out the significance of events contrived that occurred at the hands of militias, ”Gharghour” in Tripoli, the capital, which aimed to move the security situation in Benghazi later, the bloody events resulting from the address commandos led Wanies Abukhamada , against the militia Ansar al-Sharia.
The source expressed concern over the escalation of the bloody clash in Benghazi, in the coming days in order to push special forces commander, presence and appearing regularly in order to facilitate the process of assassination.
The source stressed ”veto” that there are elements within the Mendsh commandos are now leaking dates movements of “Abukhamada” to facilitate the process followed, and the process is likely to be assassinated by a sniper professional, after failing to booby-trapping his car because of the security guards stationed around it.
He added that the assassination of the commander of the Libyan special forces, was agreed upon after the rise in popularity of the man inside, causing panic among the Muslim Brotherhood in Libya of a repeat of the Egyptian scenario, after the intervention of the army and the overthrow of the Brotherhood out of power.
He stressed that the axis of Turkey and Qatar, adopted the theory of compensation for loss of the parent organization of the group in Egypt and Tunisia in decline, over Libyan territory, and that there is a process of coming together now with the international organization of the group to turn Libya into the house of money to political Islam in the region.
It is noteworthy that the Libyan army is witnessing assassinations at a high level amid the ranks of leadership, and exceeded the number of leaders that has filtered barrier officer percent during the past two months, in addition to the overthrow of a large number through early retirement.
In October 2013, Al-Jazeera English TV showed a sensational documentary film that has cleared the heroic Gaddafi Libyan Army forces of the rape allegations that were made against them during the 2011 war in Libya.
The film, by Ashraf Mashharawi, documented the findings of a Libyan community group calling itself “Reconciliation Is Good”, which set out to find out the truth about the allegations of “mass rapes”committed by the Libyan Army (and the Khamis Brigade) in Misurata in spring 2011.
The programme admitted that after towns and cities across Libya were recaptured by Libya’s Army (from the minority groups of armed gangs and terrorists – that were acting on behalf of, and funded by, outside foreign agents -) there had been no reports of any rapescommitted by Gaddafi forces.(Indeed, other investigations have found no genocidal behaviour had ever been committed at all during the entire war by any of the official Libyan Army brigades – including, of course, the Khamis Brigade).
As the Libyan army prepared to re-take Misurata in late February, and March and April 2011, it was only here that rapes were found to have taken place.
At the time, it was stated that “mass rapes” had occurred in huge numbers and were being committed by the Libyan Army (and the Khamis Brigade – also known as the 32 Brigade – which was the primary unit of the Libyan Army deployed to fight the rebels in Misurata during the war).
But the investigation found that while rapes had happened in Misurata,all of them had been committed by some members of the non-army, volunteer residents from the nearby town of Tawergha . And that no rapes had been committed by any Libyan Army soldiers (including, of course, none by the Khamis Brigade).
This means that the rapes were carried out by only the undisciplined, untrained, and clearly wilder youthful elements of some of the volunteers of some of the Tawergha volunteers. They were not committed by any of the trained, proper soldiers of Gaddafi’s Libyan Armed Forces.
When the tribes of Misurata and Tawergha met to discuss the rapes, it was finally admitted for the first time (what Gaddafi supporters had already suspected). The rebels had lied about the incidents of rapes – and on a large scale.
The reconciliation activist and spokesman for the “Reconciliation Is Good” group, Abdul Salam al-Shaikhi, told Al-Jazeera that the rebels of Misurata had admitted the number of rapes had been “exaggerated”, and the “number of cases inflated”…(You can bet this means HUGELY exaggerated and inflated).
The group admitted the rebels had “circulated larger numbers” of victims than there really were…
By late April 2011, this particular battle for Misurata had concluded.
This one-hour programme was shown several times on Al-Jazeera English language TV during the first week of October 2013 – under the strand “Al-Jazeera World” and titled “The Road To Tawergha”.
(All bracketed parts of this above report are my own additions. The rest of the following is my own and not from al-Jazeera):
As there has been no news coverage of this, or, to my knowledge, any version of this programme having been shown in other countries, then I can only come to the conclusion that its findings have been suppressed.
Unfortunately, Al-Jazeera did not apologise for willingly circulating all these false claims against Gaddafi forces – or for the damage it caused to the good name and standing of the Libyan Army – as Western foreign journalists eagerly swallowed and repeated these lies to suit their own corporate agenda.
Later allegations of Libyan Army soldiers having been given Viagra for rapes were also proven to be lies.
A Sunday newspaper on 17th April 2011 reported Gaddafi soldiers were raping women in Misurata – yet even Nato had admitted on 6th April 2011 that no civilians were left in Misurata as they had all left the city. Clearly, to me, something did not add up.
It also reminds me of an incident early in the war, which perfectly illustrates the noble courage of the Libyan Army. Rebels used children as human shields to try to get some Gaddafi Army soldiers to disarm. In the incident, the rebels told the soldiers to hand over their weapons or to attack the children to get the rebels. The soldiers handed over their weapons to the rebels rather than shoot the children. These brave soldiers then surrendered themselves to the rebels – and an uncertain fate…
It also reminds me how, at the very beginning of the false 2011 ‘uprising’ in Libya, Prince Khamis Gaddafi was reported by the rebels to have been visiting all Libya’s prisons and ordering an increase in torture of the inmates. I thought to myself that, as a VIP, surely a simple telephone call from him would have sufficed! The story was clearly nonsense. Instead of screening these false allegations, any sensible journalist could have easily checked these claims – as I did – and found Khamis was not in Libya nor had he beenat any time that these allegations related. In fact, he had been living in Spain, where he was studying, and had then gone onto the US for a subsequently partially aborted business tour. Only after this did he return to Libya – to defend the country.
I am glad the good name of the Libyan Army and the Khamis Brigade is finally being cleared – as well as those Tawerghan men who volunteered but chose not to join their other Tawerghan colleagues in participating in the rapes. And that the truth, including for the sake of the victims, is starting slowly, but surely, to emerge – even if it is two years too damn late…
thegirlwholoveskhamis – for libyaagainstsuperpowermedia.org